November 23, 2010

You Can Be a Little Bit Fancy

Go ahead, it's fun. With Thanksgiving only two days away, I'm well aware of those "big deal" things, like the head count, the pies {apple for me, please}, the bird. Then there are the little things, the ones we could easily overlook while we're yelling at our husbands to get the extra chairs out of the garage, but the ones that make the celebration extra fun and a little fancy. 

During the spring semester of my junior year in college, I was awarded the English Department's book scholarship. I had free reign to buy $50 worth of books at Border's; I simply had to turn in my receipt to the English Department secretary to be reimbursed. After 45 minutes of browsing, I had made my selections and showed my husband {my fiance at the time} what I had decided on.

"The Art of Napkin Folding and Etiquette for Everyday? I'm pretty sure the English Department wants you to buy something like Moby Dick," he told me.

"I don't care. It's my scholarship. I'm still reading, aren't I?"

Needless to say, I didn't receive that award again. But that napkin folding book has brought me plenty of use. When friends come for dinner and my husband spots the napkins transformed into pieces of art, even he can't deny that it was a good buy. So here's a little something fun and fancy to add to your Thanksgiving table this year.



How?

1. Start with a cloth napkin laid flat on the table.
P.S. Iron it first!


2. Fold the bottom of the napkin up to meet the top.


3. Fold the top layer of the napkin down.



4. Fold the top back up to meet the top of the new fold.


5. Carefully flip the napkin over.


6. Fold the right side of the napkin into the center.


7. Fold the left side in to meet the right.


8. Pull back the bottom right side of the napkin and tuck the left snugly inside.




The back of your napkin will look like this:


9. Flip the napkin over and insert silverware.


Easy, and a little bit fancy! The best part? You can set the table and fold the napkins the night before, saving yourself a little extra time for yelling at your husband to get those extra chairs out of the garage tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...