November 16, 2010

Breaking the Rules - Part One

I'm taking a break from the girls' closet makeover, mostly because I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the final product yet.

My oldest daughter, once upon a time, had her own bedroom. Before it was a playroom, before it was Lou Lou's nursery, and before it was a playroom {the first time}, this was Greta's room. It was a vintagey schoolhouse type of room with warm oranges and yellows and reds and pinks.




Greta had a bag made from the well known Alexander Henry apple and pear print, and it gave me the perfect inspiration to add some style to her room. But first, let me tell you a little about her. Greta is six, she loves dance and hockey, she wants to be a mommy when she grows up {♥}, and she's definitely a rule follower. So when I asked her if she'd like it if I painted on her walls - as in painted on the paint - she was aghast. "You can't paint things on the wall! You told us not to...EVER!" Well, that's true. I did say that. But I'm breaking my own rule. The worst that could happen, I figured, was that it would look horrible. Then I'd paint over the catastrophe and call it a lesson learned. But hey, at least I would try!
The bag that made me break the rules.


Armed with those oh so handy mini paint samples you've read about here, Greta's bag, and some small paint brushes, I set out to paint on the walls.





I'm no artist, and I was actually surprised at how easy {and fun!} it was to paint on the walls. Since I was painting freehand, I found it very helpful to keep the apple and pear bag right next to me and look at it often. It also helps if you have a cheerleader in the room: "It looks really good Momma! Do another one over there! Are you going to paint 1000 apples and pears?" Well, no. But thank you for your enthusiasm!

So I broke the rules, and Greta got a little charm added to her walls. In the end, she really liked her apples and pears and hopefully learned that it's okay to shake things up once in a while. But she still can't paint on the walls.  

Stay tuned to see what I've been working on in the midst of the closet makeover. I've been breaking the rules in the girls' room makeover, too.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I love that fabric and I actually have several yards of it here to make some dresses. Now, I might make a bag instead. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that print the best? I ordered the bag from Etsy, and the seller made a matching wallet. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...