November 7, 2010

Three Girls' Closet: Overcoming a Tragedy and Finding Inspiration in the Ruins

The title of this post is a little dramatic, but so is a room with three girls. I've told you all about how my hubby and I recently decided that all three of our daughters could share a room. Yes, we may be crazy. The oldest two {six and three} have been sharing for awhile now, and they get along very well. They also adore their baby sister {for the time being} and dote on her like little mommas. So right now life is good, and everyone gets along and loves each other and we might as well be singing Kum Ba Yah.


The room the girls share is the old master bedroom; it's a large room with plenty of space, and the girls even have their own bathroom. Even though there's quite a bit of livable space, it's going to get filled up mighty quick with three girls and all of their girl stuff. We need to think carefully about how we're using each inch.  Um, yay!! That means I get another room to organize! With four kids six and under, this momma is all about organization, from laundry to lunch. When your home has order and everyone knows the system, life is a little easier.

I've already told you about how we're planning to maximize the space with two sets of bunk beds. Doing so will free up an enormous amount of room. I also have plans for a great study area in addition to pretty cool places to play.

While it's been fun to think about painting and decorating and adding accessories, this project hasn't escaped some tricky predicaments. Probably the biggest obstacle I've faced so far is how to organize clothes for three girls in one closet. I'm a momma who loves to shop {as in, I categorize it as a sport}, so these dolls have dresses, skirts, jeans, pants, tanks, tees, and sweaters galore. Oh - and don't get me started on their shoe collection. They use one dresser - a chest of drawers - and one large closet. While that may be ample space, it needs to be used very carefully in order to make choosing three outfits everyday, not to mention putting away mountains of laundry, a snap.

I've been thinking and planning and drawing different designs for the girls' closet. My handy husband took my ideas and added his own, and together we came up with a plan to make the closet as user-friendly as possible. He's been spending quite a bit of his free time sawing and drilling and putting together the perfect space for his little ladies. It's not finished yet. I can't wait to reveal it to you when it's done, but for now, I'm going to leave you with this. This is the hurricane that came to be when Louisa first moved into Greta and Frankie's room. If you can't stand clutter and lack of organization, avert your eyes!




I know - scary! I promise to return shortly with a closet space that's much easier on the eyes. It will be pretty and organized - brains and beauty - the perfect combination. 

1 comment:

  1. "When your home has order and everyone knows the system, life is a little easier."

    Could not agree more, it's the only way to live. Can't wait to see the results!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...